Friday, October 22, 2010

A Good Day at School. . . As Martha Would Say, "It's a Good Thing"

So, I went to school this morning intending to spend about 4 hours working there.   I had some appointments with students, and some of my former students were coming by.  What happened was that I spent 8 hours at school, dealing with administrative bullshit and some lovely student encounters.  Truth be told, if I could spend all of my time with my students, teaching and interacting, I would be happy as a pig in mud.  The administrative bullshit drives me nuts, but it's a part of the academic life . . . that I must complete and accept (insert a pic of me meditating and harnessing my chi).  On the other hand, the students, ahhhhh, that makes me so happy.

After having several advisees come in to talk about their schedules, I was asked by one of the other profs to guest lecture in a class about how to evaluate social work practice.  I know, I know, it sounds so boring, but for me, it's amazing.  I LOVE to teach research . . . why, you ask . . . because it's a challenge to make a boring topic interesting.  I got to teach my students from last semester, who are now last semester seniors, and that is a very good thing.  These are students that I spent a LOT of time with last semester teaching social work practice skills, and now they are in the field . . . actually implementing them.  It was an amazing experience.

After teaching, I got to spend some one on one time with two of my students.  They are particularly close to me, and feel comfortable chatting with their prof.  It's amazing to feel like you are making an impact on a life, and that is one of the wonderful things that this job affords me.  Ahhhhh, I must come back and read this post when I get frustrated with my job.

Now, I must attend to my Tex-Mex Mac and Cheese . . . I love to cook, and a buddy of mine is coming over to eat a little dinner and watch Rosemary's Baby.

I shall check in later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment